Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Poem~ Battleground


This is a poem I wrote in June 2012 to describe the experience of depression. I thought the analogy of a soldier facing a battle was a powerful and helpful one. Sadly, it is the "everyday" humdrum of life which represents the battle here. As well as a poem, "Battleground" is also an acrostic (5/10/8/5), something which I enjoy integrating into my poems if I can!

"Battleground" By Melanie Jay Narayanasamy

Dodging bullets on the battleground
And all my strength depletes in volume
I feel my face dragging downwards with forehead frowned
Lifting each foot to walk where the flowers never bloom

Youthful energy passes me, I am shut
Dealing with the daily dangers using a broken shield
Every move an aching effort
Passing by the everyday with eyes that see but visions sealed

Rest in Peace past days, the dull days I wish would come
Empty is the present wilderness, waiting to go over the top 
Songs of life play but they don't match the mind's slum
Send me a distorted version for it would be a better swap

In the night, stripped, isolated, submitting to the poison of a fearful thought
Visits by the enemy, the pain is normalised, I am immune
Energy now rated at less than naught
The daylight was slow to come, yet still came much too soon

Hope from the sun lifted my heart briefly then let it collapse 
Of course nothing’s changed, the battle continues
Until death, this is how it will always be perhaps
Giving up on the tired brain I fear is too damaged to use


How this daily battle has me fighting over something but I don’t know what
The bandages don't heal these wounds from war
Someone give me a reason, someone tell me where I slot,
Surely sweet pain would relieve the numbness of this unseen sore

The biggest attack comes from the smiles, the ones most genuine
It’s the cold reminder that sinks my heart and leaves it drowned
Nothing is crueller than the belief that you’ll never leave and you’ll never win
Grief-stricken and spending an eternity on the battleground  





©Melanie Jay Narayanasamy, 2012

3 comments:

  1. Great poem and interesting analogy. I wrote an article on how art is good for your health, hope you don't mind me posting the link?

    http://blankcanvasdesign.com/art-theory/a-picasso-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for taking the time to read "Battleground"! I think as I was writing it, I realised more and more how relevant the analogy was and the ideas kept flowing once I was in this mode of thinking. It's a special poem for me.

    Thank you very much for the link to your article- I read it and related to it so much! I would love to publish some quotes from it in a following post if this is ok? I will also provide the link so that everybody can read it in full :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous- I hope this is ok:
    http://smhart-minds.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/a-picasso-day-keeps-doctor-away-black.html

    :o) I wasn't sure which name to reference as the author so I put "Black Canvas"... I didn't know if the name at the end referred to the photographer or author - sorry about this! But let me know if you wish to provide your name and I will add this to the post.

    If you are not happy with the post, then of course I will be happy to remove it

    ReplyDelete